Chaff

"The stars are threshed, and the souls are threshed from their husks."

Monday, December 11, 2006

The Return of No-Fun Boy

Dear Diary,

Miserable day.

The title above is not self proclaimed. It is something my first girlfriend used to call me when, during an evening devoted to meaningless social pleasure, I derailed ease and grace if not just by my sullen presence, through malevolent intent. I see now that what she, and most others, crave from friends gathering in the public sphere is a low-intensity babbling that functions some what like a drug. I used to make a habit of getting in-between junkies and their inebrients, and the results were as sour as you'd expect.

Now, here I am, unable to sleep at an ungodly hour when I can't even purchase the drugs that might ease my burdens. The Hotsy Totsy opens at six. I pray that I am not still awake with these thoughts then.

G flatters me by saying that there is no small talk with me. I thought she was being generous in that appraisal, as I have spent the last six years cultivating a somewhat aggressively social public persona. Probably my 'transformation' had more to do with the generosity of my companions than my self-perceived charms. This year, however, has done a great deal to undo what half-assed intentions I once had. I bought off my anger, my distance, my essential awkwardness, with loud laughter and lots of drinks, I romanced it like a visiting friend, but I don't drink the way that I used to and I think it's gotten wise. Obviously it will be around longer than any one else, unless I die as early as my dreams profess, so I should, as a bit of tactics, come to terms with it.

I'm afraid also that I have bored to distraction the one friend I've been discussing this with, and set the terms of our friendship too strangely. That just the sort of thing no-fun boy would do.

7 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

William,

Apparently your mood last night was even worse than mine. That's impressive.

I'm not at work today. You should e-mail me.

Anna

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Galen said...

William william william...

Read the giant e-mail I sent you!

As for the no-fun boy thing. We both know that I know better than that.

I don't risk being beat with blueberry pancakes for no-fun boys!

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, see, but now I want to hear the blueberry pancake story.

Anna

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Whim said...

Thank you, Galen, for the long email. I'll try to reply in kind soon.

But now I have to tell people the pancake story. Thanks.

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many thanks to Galen for drawing attention to the utterly fantastic pancake story. Good sir, I am in your debt.

Anna

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Galen said...

Glad to be of service. I report, or at least rumormonger, and you decide!

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home